I love Tabbouleh, but it is often hard to find bulgur wheat in our local grocery stores. I substituted tricolor quinoa and found it to be very tasty and less “chewy” in texture. Fabulous flavor and healthy too!
Tricolor Quinoa Tabbouleh
- 3/4 cup tricolor quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium tomato, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint or 1/4 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Thyme and Garlic Pita Chips for service
- Bring the quinoa, 1/4 teaspoon salt and water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is translucent and tender, about 10 – 12 minutes.
- Fluff the quinoa with a fork and turn it out onto a baking sheet to cool.
- Place tomato, cucumber, parsley, green onion, olive oil, cumin, salt, Greek seasoning, lemon juice and black pepper in a salad bowl. Stir to combine. Add quinoa. Toss with fork until all ingredients are combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, let tabbouleh sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Stir in mint. Taste to check seasoning. Add 1 more tablespoon lemon juice and olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon more salt if needed. Serve with Thyme and Garlic Pita Chips.
Thyme and Garlic Pita Chips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pita bread rounds
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stir garlic into olive oil.
- Cut each pita round into 5 strips with kitchen scissors or serrated knife. Snip end of each strip and separate to make 2 single layer strips.
- Place pita strips split side up in a single layer on baking sheets.
- Brush pita strips with garlic olive oil.
- Sprinkle pita strips evenly with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Bake until crisp and golden brown, 12-15 minutes.
- Remove pita strips from oven and allow to cool. Serve at room temperature.