If you love a spicy Bloody Mary, try a Tomato Water Martini!
Tomato Water Martini
- 18 ounces large grape tomatoes reserve 6 tomatoes for garnish
- 4 large fresh basil leaves
- 40 black pepper corns
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lemon slice
- 1/2 tsp Nanami Togarashi Japanese 7 spice available in Asian markets and some grocery stores
- 3 ounces vodka
- olives, pickled pearl onion and caper berries for garnish
- To make tomato water: Place tomatoes in a blender. Blend until the tomatoes have a watery consistency.
- Place 3 layers of cheesecloth over a container and place a rubber band around the cheesecloth on the top outer side to hold the cheesecloth in place. Strain the tomato water through the cheesecloth. Carefully pick up the cheesecloth and give it a gentle squeeze to strain any remaining tomato water into the container.
- Discard cheesecloth. Pour tomato water into a mason jar. Add the basil, black pepper corns and salt to the tomato water. Stir. Cover and refrigerate until ready to make martinis.
- To make tomato water martinis: Squeeze a lemon slice around the rim of martini glass. Dip and roll martini glass rim in Nanami Togarashi. Place martini glass in freezer to chill the glass.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, strain 3 ounces of tomato water into a cocktail shaker with ice. Add 3 ounces vodka to the shaker. Shake vigorously and strain into chilled martini glass.
- Garnish martini glass with halved grape tomatoes. Add olives, pickled onion and caper berries as garnish.