I have fallen in love with the Nick & Nora cocktail glass. The Nick and Nora is a petite stemmed cocktail glass. The perfect glass for stirred (undiluted) cocktails – martinis and Manhattans. Nick & Nora glasses are one of my favorite finds at antique stores.
What’s the story behind the Nick and Nora glass? Nick and Nora Charles are the main characters in author Dashiell Hammett’s best-selling 1934 novel, The Thin Man. They are a married couple that enjoy sharp and smart repartee while solving murder mysteries. The book was adapted to film in 1939. William Powell and Myrna Loy were the stars of the movie The Thin Man. In it, the two were seen sipping cocktails from small, stemmed glasses.
One of my favorite cocktails to serve in a Nick and Nora glass is The Last Word cocktail. It is a fabulous concoction of gin, green Chartreuse and Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur. The maraschino liqueur collects in the bottom of the glass, giving it a lovely layered appearance.
Another one of my favorite cocktails to serve in a Nick and Nora glass is the Aviation cocktail. Gin, Luxardo Marachino Liqueur and Crème de violette liqueur.
Empress 1908 The Last Word Cocktail
- 1 cocktail shaker
- 3/4 ounce Empress 1908 Gin
- 3/4 ounce green Chartreuse
- 3/4 ounce Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
- 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
- Garnish Fabbri Amarena Cherry and Amarena cherry juice
- Place the gin, green chartreuse, maraschino liqueur and lime juice into a cocktail shaker with ice. Cover and shake vigorously.
- Strain into a chilled Nick and Nora glass.
- Pour approximately 1 teaspoon Amarena cherry juice into the cocktail. Garnish with an Amarena cherry on a cocktail pick.
- 1 cocktail shaker
- 2 ounces dry gin
- 1/2 ounce Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
- 1/4 ounce Crème de violette liqueur
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- cracked ice
- garnish: lemon peel twist and Luxardo Maraschino Cherry with stem
- Place gin, maraschino liqueur, Crème de violette liqueur and lemon juice with cracked ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Cover shaker and shake vigorously. Strain into a chilled Nick and Nora cocktail glass.
- Garnish with lemon peel twist and a Luxardo Maraschino Cherry.