Fun and flirtatious cocktails! The Aviation, The Caribbean Cruise, The Cable Car and The Rolls Royce.
The Avaiation is possibly the best known “transportation cocktail”. It is made with Crème de violette liqueur, which can be difficult to source. I’ve included a recipe for an Aviation cocktail here if you are lucky enough to find the violette liqueur, but if not, you can still enjoy an Aviation because On The Rocks has a ready-to-drink version that is absolutely lovely. The On The Rocks Aviation is made with Larios gin and has flavors of cherry, lemon and violet. Lots of citrusy notes. Very refreshing served over crushed ice. Find On The Rocks cocktails at your favorite liquor store.
- 1 cocktail shaker
- 2 ounces dry gin
- 1/2 ounce Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
- 1/4 ounce Crème de violette liqueur
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- cracked ice
- garnish: lemon peel twist and Luxardo Maraschino Cherry with stem
- Place gin, maraschino liqueur, Crème de violette liqueur and lemon juice with cracked ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Cover shaker and shake vigorously. Strain into a chilled Nick and Nora cocktail glass.
- Garnish with lemon peel twist and a Luxardo Maraschino Cherry.
To make a Aviation Royale Cocktail, just add chilled champagne.
Our adventure continues with a Rolls Royce cocktail – Cointreau orange liqueur, cognac and fresh orange juice. Or perhaps the Cable Car cocktail is more your style – an adaptation of the Sidecar. The Cable Car swaps the brandy for spiced rum, with cinnamon, lemon and orange curaçao. Or take the Blue Train with dry gin, triple sec, blue curacao, and lemon juice. And how about a Caribbean Cruise? Coconut rum, pineapple juice and grenadine syrup.
Whatever your method of transportation, have fun exploring the world of cocktails. Cheers!