During the coldest months of the year, I crave fresh fruits. Raspberries are among my favorite fresh fruits because they are available all year long and they are always plump, juicy and refreshing. One of my favorite ways to serve raspberries in the winter is in a fresh crisp green salad. My Raspberry Mustard Vinaigrette has a secret ingredient: seedless raspberry jam!
My recipe is for 2 servings of salad, but can easily be doubled or tripled to serve 4 or 6.
Winter Raspberry Salad
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- pinch salt
- 1/2 head butter lettuce
- 16 very thin slices Asiago cheese slice Asiago cheese with vegetable peeler or cheese slicer
- 16 fresh raspberries
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For service: Raspberry Mustard Vinaigrette
- Place butter in a small saute pan. Melt butter over medium low heat.
- Add sliced almonds to melted butter. Brown almonds in butter over medium heat until almonds are lightly browned (about 2 – 3 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Tear lettuce into small pieces and place in chilled salad bowls.
- Top lettuce with Asiago cheese slices, raspberries and toasted almonds.
- To serve: sprinkle salads with freshly ground black pepper and Raspberry Mustard Vinaigrette. Serve additional vinaigrette on the side.
Raspberry Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1 mason jar
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 3 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Pommery mustard
- 2 teaspoons AR's Hot Southern Honey
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Place all ingredients in mason jar. Stir with long handled spoon to combine all ingredients.
- Cover mason jar and shake vigorously to emulsify.
- Place jar in refrigerator and chill until service.