The watermelon we loved as children is all grown up – enjoy my adult watermelon recipes!
Here’s a fun quick way to serve watermelon: Raspados (Shaved Ice popular in Mexico). Freeze watermelon chunks (seeds removed) in a sealed plastic bag. Blend frozen chunks in blender. Add just a little lemon juice and agave syrup. For the adults: add some vodka.
Margarita Watermelon Wedges
- 2 1 inch slices watermelon
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons tequila blanco
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cut each watermelon slice into 6 wedges.
- Place wedges in a flat food storage container.
- Combine lime juice, tequila, sugar and salt in a small bowl. Mix well to combine all ingredients.
- Pour lime juice mixture over the watermelon slices.
- Cover container tightly and refrigerate for one hour. Turn container over and shake container lightly to cover the watermelon with lime mixture. Continue to refrigerate for one more hour. Place 3 watermelon wedges on each chilled plate. Serve very cold.
Tequila Watermelon Aguas Frescas with Prosecco
- 1 Blender or food processor
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 chilled seedless watermelon, – about 15 pounds, rind discarded and watermelon cubed (about 20 cups)
- 3/4 cup tequila blanco
- 6 limes, thinly sliced
- 3 spearmint sprigs, plus mint leaves for garnish
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bottle chilled prosecco
- In a small saucepan, combine the water and sugar and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved. Transfer the simple syrup to a heatproof bowl and let cool.
- In a food processor or blender, puree the watermelon in batches until smooth. Strain the puree into a large bowl or pitcher. Stir in the simple syrup, tequila, lime slices, 3 sprigs spearmint and 1/2 cup water.
- To serve, pour the watermelon agua fresca into ice-filled glasses, leaving 1 inch at the top. Top off the drinks with Prosecco and garnish with mint leaves.
Watermelon Feta Salad
- 4 ounces feta
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 4 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh spearmint sprigs for garnish
- Chill glass or china plates and salad forks in the freezer prior to making the salad.
- Cut watermelon into 1 1/2 inch slices. Using a 2 inch cookie cutter, cut rounds out of the watermelon slices.
- Place 2 watermelon rounds on each chilled salad plate and crumble over the feta, then sprinkle toasted pine nuts over the feta.
- Drizzle over balsamic glaze, olive oil and season to taste with freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with spearmint sprig. Serve immediately.