Looks like it’s going to be very hot this summer, so let’s get refreshed! I always like to have a pitcher of homemade lemonade in my refrigerator during the hot weather. My surprise ingredient in my lemonade – lime juice!
- 1 citrus juicer
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 cups fresh lemon juice
- Place water in saucepan and heat until boiling. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Add sugar to water. Stir and continue to simmer until sugar is dissolved.
- Add lime juice and lemon juice. Stir.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Pour into pitcher. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled (at least 4 hours or overnight).
Here’s a trick to easily incorporate lemon zest and juice into your recipes – freeze your lemon and grate it. So tasty and refreshing on grilled fish, in salad dressing, added to pasta, rice and vegetables. Simply wash a lemon and put it in your freezer overnight. Then grate the whole lemon – the seeds will catch in the grater so it’s easy to remove them.
The citrusy flavor of lemon is perfect for cocktails. I love lemon drop martinis! A fun way to rim your martini glass is to place a spoonful of lemon curd on a plate and dip your martini glass rim in the curd to coat the rim. Then place a spoonful of sugar on a plate and dip and roll your lemon curd rimmed martini glass rim in the sugar.
Mojitos are a classic summer cocktail because the are so refreshing. Enjoy my recipe using limoncello and Sprite.
- 1 cocktail muddler or wooden spoon
- 1 copper mojito cup
- 1 cocktail shaker
- 4 fresh spearmint leaves
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 1 ounce limoncello
- 1 ounce white rum
- 2 ounces Italian Sparkling Water or Sprite
- Ice cubes
- Garnish: mint sprig and lemon and lime wheel
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the spearmint leaves with lime juice and simple syrup.
- Add the limoncello and rum and fill the cocktail shaker with ice. Shake vigorously.
- Fill a copper mojito cup glass with ice, then strain the mojito into the cocktail glass. Top off with Italian sparkling water or Sprite. Garnish with a sprig of mint and a lemon and lime wheel.