Shichimi Togarashi is a blend of 7 spices popular in Japan. I use it to rim Bloody Mary and Tomato Water Martini glasses. It’s the perfect spicy blend to compliment the tomato flavors in the cocktails. Simply rub a lemon or lime wedge around the rim of the cocktail glass. Place the Togarashi on a small plate and dip and roll the cocktail rim in the spice to coat the rim.
You can find Togarashi in Asian markets or make your own. Togarashi adds a bit of zippy hot pepper flavor to grilled chicken and fish, udon noodle dishes, vegetables, marinades and rubs and salad dressing. And place a jar with your salt and pepper on your dining table.
- 1 Mortar and Pestle
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan pepper or black pepper
- 1 teaspoon seaweed flakes or nori sheet
- 1 tablespoon dried orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Put all ingredients in a mortar and pestle and grind for a few minutes.
- Store tightly covered in a small mason jar.