You are going to LOVE my recipe for Shrimp Po’Boys! They are surprisingly easy to make. Louisiana Shrimp Fry makes a crunchy batter that makes fried shrimp that tastes just like the yummy shrimp at the seafood shacks we love to visit at the beach.
Fried Shrimp Po’Boys
- 4 Pepperidge Farm top sliced butter topped hot dog buns
- 8 tablespoons Louisiana Fish Fry tartar sauce
- 1 cup coleslaw cabbage and carrot mix
- 4 tablespoons Duke's coleslaw dressing
- 5 tablespoons Louisiana Shrimp Fry
- 1/2 cup water
- 16 X large Private Selection (or your favorite brand) Argentinean red shrimp – raw, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Split open the hot dog buns so that the two halves of the buns are still attached, but they will lay flat. Place buns on a baking sheet. Bake in oven for 5 minutes or until toasted.
- Make coleslaw: In a bowl mix the coleslaw cabbage and carrot mix with the coleslaw dressing until the cabbage is coated with the dressing.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or heavy saucepan to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dip the shrimp into the shrimp fry batter and drop in hot oil. Fry shrimp for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp from the oil and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Spread tartar sauce evenly on one side of each of the hot dog buns.
- Divide the coleslaw between the hot dog buns and spread evenly down the center of the buns.
- Top coleslaw with fried shrimp. Serve immediately.
Creamy Horseradish Coleslaw
- 3 cups coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrots)
- 1 cup purple cabbage, chopped fine
- 24 bread and butter pickles, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon creamy horseradish
- 1/4 cup coleslaw dressing I like Duke's coleslaw dressing for this recipe.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Place coleslaw mix and purple cabbage in a mixing bowl.
- Add chopped bread and butter pickles.
- Mix in creamy horseradish, coleslaw dressing, salt and mayonnaise.
- Transfer to a salad bowl. Clover and refrigerate until ready to serve.